- Also known as ascorbic acid.
- Functions in the body include synthesis of collagen (framework of our skin and bones), carnitine and nor epinephrine.
- It is involved in proper functioning of body’s immune response. It may also have antiviral properties and may reduce severity of cold symptoms. It is an antioxidant.
- Involved in protection against atherosclerosis and cancer.
- Involved in production of neurotransmitters especially serotonin.
- Helps with iron absorption.
The best food sources of Vitamin C are plant foods:
- Citrus fruits (orange, grapefruit, lime, and lemon)
Storage, heat and oxygen destroys Vitamin C.
Deficiency of Vitamin C causes scurvy manifested by bleeding into muscles, bleeding from gums, leg swelling, nerve pain, easy bruisability, cerebral hemorrhage, bone fractures.