- Vitamin B9 is known as Folate (term includes folic acid and food folate).
- This vitamin is necessary for the formation of hemoglobin.
- Involved in metabolism of amino acids (building blocks of protein) and in DNA and RNA production
- It improves focus and alertness.
Foods that are a good source of Vitamin B9 include:
- Green leafy vegetables
- Orange Juice
- Legumes like Black beans and Kidney beans
- Whole grains
- Organ meats
All cereal grain products labeled “enriched” such as pasta, flour, bread, rice and breakfast cereal are required by FDA to be fortified with folic acid.
Deficiency of folate causes anemia, plays a role in vascular disease (disease of arteries) and increased cancer risk.
Many Drugs (such as Methotrexate, Trimethoprim and Triamterene) cause impairment of folate handling by the body.