- Vitamin B6 is known as pyridoxine.
- It helps to absorb and metabolize amino acids, fats and carbohydrates, stabilize behavior and mood, produce red blood cells, and help the immune system.
- Vitamin B6 is necessary for balancing hormonal changes in women and helps relieve premenstrual and menstrual pain and discomfort.
- It protects the body from cancer and heart disease.
- High Flux or high efficiency Dialyzers are known to clear Vitamin B6 from the blood but deficiency among Hemodialysis patients is rare.
Foods that are a good source of vitamin B6 include:
- Wheat germ
- Whole grains
- Green beans
- Egg yolk
Signs of deficiency include cracked lips and angles of mouth, Anemia, Peripheral Neuropathy, convulsions, dermatitis, depression and Confusion.